Management Science and Engineering
A Discipline Development Overview
With the goal of serving the development of the economy and society, the Capital University of Economics and Business is striving to improve core competitiveness of the discipline of Management Science and Engineering, so as to intensify the cultivation of professional talents that meet the development requirement of this era. After years of work, this discipline has accomplished quite fruitful results: in 2008, this discipline was approved to be one of the Key Construction Disciplines of Beijing; in 2009, Information Management and Systems was approved as one of the Special Majors of Beijing, and the Management Science and Engineering Laboratory was granted the title of the Experimental Demonstration Center of Beijing; in 2010, Beijing municipal colleges innovation team was approved; in 2011, Management Science and Engineering was approved to confer a Ph.D. as a first class discipline; in 2013, the School of Information organized the 2013 Annual Conference on Management Science and Engineering and the 11th Forum of Management Science and Engineering of China; in 2014, post-doctoral research center of Management Science and Engineering was approved.
B Faculty and Students
Overthe past 5 years, the School of Information attracted 18 doctors and postdoctoral fellows from some well-known universities both at home and abroad, such as Tsinghua University, Peking University, Boston University, Liverpool University, and University of Toyama, etc. 6 members of the teaching staff are now studying for their doctorate at Chinese Academy of Social Sciences and Beijing Institute of Technology. The School of Information has chosen over 10 teaching members to study at University of Washington, Michigan State University, and North Carolina State University, etc. The School has also hired Professor Wu Zhijun from Iowa State University, Professor Song Xiaoyu from Portland State University in Oregon as chair professor and visiting professor, respectively. At present, there are 600 undergraduates and 82 postgraduates studying at the School of Information every year. From 2012, the School began to recruit doctoral students and has enrolled 12 Ph.D. candidates since then. Altogether, there are 4 doctoral supervisors.
C Discipline Development Overview
We are focused on the frontiers of this discipline and the major issues of the social and economic development, emphasize the improvement of the teaching and research capacity of the faculty, focus on the crossover studies with other disciplines, and constantly focus the research orientations of this discipline. Because CUEB is a multi-discipline teaching and research university that is mainly focused on the disciplines of economics and management alongside other disciplines like law, business, literature, and science, the faculty forms four research orientations within the discipline of management science and engineering.
D Projects, Funds, and Laboratories
During the past 5 years, 145 research projects have been approved within the discipline, including projects supported by Natural Science Foundation of China, National Social Science Foundation, Humanities and Social Science Fund under the Ministry of Education. 530 papers have been published in many important academic journals at home and abroad, among which 56 papers are indexed by SCI. 17 patents have been granted, including “Methods of Integrating Server Resources to Reduce Carbon Footprints:as an invention patent.
The main objectives of the discipline construction in the next five years are as follows:
(1) On the basis of the rapid development of information technology such ascloud computing and big data processing, we will further standardize and develop those research fields that are with remarkable superiority and distinctive characteristics.
(2) Academic resources inside and outside of the university would be further integrated, so as to improve the qualification of the faculty and gather outstanding talents. Especially, the training of young and new teaching members would be emphasized and intensified. We would support and assemble a scientific innovation team that involves a bunch of leading talents in the country who are capable of solving some major issues in the development of the society and economy.
(3) We would build close relationship and conduct extensive cooperation with some academic societies, universities and colleges, and scientific research institutions at home and abroad, and send some of our outstanding faculty members to some key universities in and out of China as visiting scholars, or participate in other academic exchange activities.
E Future Plans and Construction Aims
Research orientation 1: Informationalizedevaluation analysis and software quality control.The emphasis of this research orientation is to study how to avoid the risk of informatization, and effectively assess informatization and information system, so as to improve the capability andmaturity of informatization implication. After years of work, this research orientation has formed its own specialties:
(1) Studies oninformatization capabilitymaturity, including studies on model frameworks of enterprise informatization capabilitymaturity, and studies on classification measurement of informatization capabilitymaturity, etc.
(2) Studies on knowledge system of quality engineering, including the comprehensive analysis of management information systems, six sigmainternational quality standards and process quality capability from the perspective of knowledge systems, etc.
Research orientation 2: Decision-making techniques and optimization methods. The emphasis of this research orientation lies in the application of mathematical models, statistical analysis, optimization theory and information technology in economy and management. The specialties of this research orientation include :
(1) operational research and optimization method, which involves the application of operational research and optimization theories in economy and management, so as to provide basis of scientific decision for decision-makers;
(2) Intelligent decision and data mining, which involves studies on artificial intelligence and data mining theories.
Research orientation 3:E-commerce and supply chains.The emphasis of this research orientation concentrates on the integration theories, technologies and application models of e-commerce and supply chains, with supply chain management ideology as the dominant factor, and information technology as the basis. The features of this research orientation include:
(1) Studies on the components of integrated logistics, its value-added process, and its effect on supply chain synchronization;
(2) Supply chain system analysis and design based on e-commerce in large scale distribution.
Research orientation 4: industrial engineering/safety system theory.After years of efforts, this research orientation has formed its own specialties, i.e.:
(1) System safety analysis is conducted on the basis of application of ideas and methods of system theory, and combination of engineering science theories and related specialized knowledge;
(2)Some faculty members are carrying out comprehensive and overall safety management studies on system, so as to control the security target of system.